The Orange Flannel Shirt is finished! Overall, I’m pleased with the way it turned out.
A Thread Scare
I bought a sampler pack of Gutermann threads from Joann’s with one of their famous 50% off coupons. It has 20 or so colors in it, including a shade of orange that perfectly matched my shirt fabric.
The problem is the spools have 100 yards (meters?) of thread, which is not enough for a decent sized project.
After getting the main body and sleeves together, I knew I was running out of thread. After finishing attaching and topstitching the cuffs, with the bottom hem and buttonholes remaining, this is how much thread I had left.
I stopped at Britex Fabrics one day during lunchtime and picked up more, but lesson learned. A single small spool of this stuff is a dangerous purchase, and you should buy at least two, or a larger sized spool, at the start of a project.
Finally, the big reveal
The plaid matching went well. The design flows perfectly right across the front placket of the shirt. The placket buttons were chosen to fall exactly at the centerpoint of each orange square. I might need to add another button at the bottom.
On the rear, the bias-cut yoke lines up nicely design with the stripes on the back, collar, and sleeves.
Front pocket detail. I cut this on the bias, and forgot this fact when I was sewing it onto the shirt. I stretched out the edges a bit, which gave the pocket a bit of an arched shape – which I like, actually. The flap almost lines up the pattern with the body of the pocket – this was a tricky one and I opted for best placement of the flap rather than trying to force the design to match.
And the pocket is a little out of register with the design on the body of the shirt. I chose to keep the pocket level, rather than try to visually match it to the pattern. Not sure it would have come out better the other way.
Placket and cuff. The cuff wound up being a big bright strip of orange because it was cut along the grain, rather than cross-grain. The cuffs call attention to themselves a little more than they would otherwise, but that’s OK.
I’m really happy with the way the collar turned out. The orange ends up highlighting the face while the purple collar points line right up with the shirt body.
The collar fits (it buttons up at least), but is still a bit snug.
Plaid matching along the side seams isn’t perfect, but it’s still OK. I focused entirely on getting the fronts lined up, and even though I did put effort into getting the back to line up with the sides, it didn’t come out just right. Fortunately, it ended off the same amount on both sides.
We finally embark on sewing the Chambray Comfy Shirt.