Hello everyone! I have lots of small stories to share today, but one of them is a big new project.
The Wool Felt Cellphone Case
I thought my Wool Felt Techie Cover project was complete – I had really only purchased enough fabric to make cases for the laptop and tablet. But I noticed there was enough of the berry pink fabric left over to make a case for my cellphone. So here it is.
I have enough wool felt left to maybe make a case for an iPod Nano, but otherwise this project looks complete. So let’s start a new project.
The Breakfast Club Shirt
While unpacking my spring/summer wardrobe from storage, I had a sinking realization; I have way more fall/winter appropriate wear in my wardrobe. And the shirts I have for the summer months, apart from polos, are mostly short-sleeve things from Old Navy that I’m not particularly fond of.
I also wanted to try another shirt pattern in my collection. McCall’s 2447 fit well, but had really blousy sleeves. McCall’s 6044 also fit, but it’s a simplified design without a back yoke and I want a pattern that’s a bit more sophisticated. So I took a second look at McCall’s 6613, a pattern I previewed way back at the beginning of this blog:
Jim called it the “Breakfast Club” pattern. I’ll be making View A, the short-sleeved version.
This pattern does have some interesting features. It’s a “Palmer-Pletsch” pattern, of the duo who created the book Fit for Real People, probably the most popular book on pattern fitting and alteration. While I’m not a big fan of the book, this pattern does contain an entire sheet of fitting instructions. It shows you how to alter the pattern for a wide range of fitting issues, such as rounded shoulders and swayback. (Click photo for an enlargement).
The MPB FIT Class
This morning, I re-read through all 15 posts (including comments) in the fantastic Menswear Sewing Class at Fashion Institute of Technology thread written by Peter Lappin at Male Pattern Boldness. I want to use this project as a way of experimenting with shirtmaking techniques. For instance, I’ve never been happy with the way my collar bands attach to the main shirt body and want to explore ways to improve my technique. Plus, some of the hints and techniques Peter learned in the class sound really interesting and I want to try them.
I went through all the posts and took notes, producing my own little index of sewing hints and instructions, with links back to the orginal blog posts.
Peter, if you’re reading this you have my sincere thanks for sharing all this wonderful knowledge with the rest of us.
The GoPro Camera
Starting with this project, I’ll be experimenting with documenting parts of my project via video. I have a GoPro Hero3+ camera that I’ve used on-and-off for action footage on my bicycle. GoPro recently released a new accessory called the 3-Way, which is an extendable boom that also works as a hand-grip and a mini tripod.
Here’s a test video containing some time-lapse footage of me tracing out McCall’s 6613, on my way to constructing a muslin.
We’ll take a look at shirting fabrics, and the McCall’s 6613 muslin. See you soon!