My yellow summer shirt is finally complete. Finished in late October, after a series of setbacks, I wear it as the beneficiary of still-warm weather in San Francisco.
Some Construction Notes
For most projects, including dress shirts, I generally use Crayola Washable Fabric markers for fabric marking. I got this idea from PatternReview.com’s 1001 Hints and Tips book, and they’ve generally worked well for me.
One thing I’ve started doing when stitching shirt pockets, is to outline the pocket with the Crayola marker. I’ve found I lose track of where the pocket edge is otherwise, so the marker line keeps me “on-edge”, so to speak.
In the photo, you can also see the alignment marks for the buttonholes and a purple dot in the center of each buttonhole where I poked through for button placement on the other placket.
I’ve had a very good history with the washable markers; they come right out of cotton fabrics in the wash, and heat (such as an iron) doesn’t seem to set a stain. Except for this time.
I had to run the shirt through the laundry twice to get the markers out, and this time there’s a mark that doesn’t seem to want to come out, right where the right collar edge meets the collar stand. You can see it as a greenish tinge in the photo below.
I’ve soaked it overnight, which hasn’t seemed to help, but I haven’t given up yet. I’m guessing that perhaps the glue in the fusible interfacing has taken on the dye when heat was applied. Or else maybe the fabric markers were sitting on the shirt for too long (over a month, in this case). It’s not super-noticeable, but it is a bit irritating.
To keep this project from drawing on forever, I’m declaring partial victory with the completion of the three shirts and moving on.
I’m currently contemplating a holiday sewing project; perhaps if I start now I can finish by next July!