Finally, my Pink Shirt is complete! Actually, it’s been done for over a week now, but I finally got around to photographing it for the blog.
I’m really thrilled with the way this project turned out. In a way, it’s a bit of an anti-climax because the Chevron Shirt was more creative design-wise than this shirt, which was largely inspired by a design I saw elsewhere.
That doesn’t take anything away from this project, though. The pink fabric I obtained from Britex Fabrics really makes this shirt. It has just the right amount of saturation, and the pink is more of a bluish undertone than a warmer, peach undertone. But the fabric also has a radiance to it in person that almost makes the shirt seem to glow.
I’ve received several comments this pink looks good on me. I love the way it looks.
Here’s some closeups of the shirt. I have given my dress form square shoulders by placing some shoulder pads inside an undershirt, placed over the dress form. That makes a big improvement in the way my shirts fit on the form.
The accent-colored front band was a bit of a struggle. I had to rip the seam and start over at least twice – the first time for a wonky seam, and the second time because I realized the sew-in interfacing was just too heavy for the front band. I switched to an ultra-light fusible, on one of the facing folds, which gave me the amount of body I wanted.
The back of the shirt is the same as in prior projects in this series. I had considered reworking the pattern to use knife pleats instead of the box pleat, at the suggestion of reader Veronik:
As for the back, have you tried side pleats instead of the center back pleat? I recently drafted a shirt with those, because they don’t add any width at the waist. I slashed from the top to the waist and squared to the side, before pivoting the amount of pleat take up. It worked well for the shirt I made.
I had actually tried this idea out on the paper copy of the pattern, slashing and pivoting. What I realized was that the alteration made the side seam about 5/8 inch shorter, and that I would have to true that with the side seam on the front piece. Rather than solve that problem, I opted for instant gratification and went with the pattern I knew rather than edit the pattern one more time. I do plan to give this a go on a future shirt making project, just not this one.
I’m pleased with the look of the two-tone collar.
I do have a small issue when I button the collar; the collar blades overlap each other a short amount. I think the button is placed a little too far inward on the collar stand, but I haven’t tried it yet with a tie to see if that covers up the issue, or if I need to relocate the button.
I’m only ever going to button the collar if I’m wearing it with a tie anyway. Wearing the collar open accentuates the “peek-a-boo” effect from the accent fabric.
The cuffs have an accent placket underlap, and accent on the inside of the cuff. I obtained some smaller mother-of-pearl buttons from Wawak for the sleeve placket.
This project wraps up my summer sewing projects. For the first time ever, I’m in sync with the seasons. I’m moving into autumn with two new projects I have in the works now; more on them soon.