Here it is – the finished T-shirt!
I accomplished the goal of adding just enough extra width around the chest to make it fit without being too snug or baggy. It’s still too tight in the waist. It would be easier to widen the pattern some more, but it would probably be better to work on narrowing myself.
I like the slanted stripes and think they are a nice twist on a normal striped T-shirt. I’ve learned that when it comes to sewing, many times you can just ignore a mistake and call it “fashion”.
Some things I could do differently on the next shirt:
- Find a different fabric for the collar. I used simple jersey fabric. You’re supposed to stretch the collar out a bit as you attach it to the neckline, and I did that, but the collar still ended up wilted and crumpled. Problem is, finding good rib knit in a variety of colors to match is a difficult task.
- I could try a different collar treatment, such as binding the neckline rather than attaching a collar. That’s what BrianSews! does in his video T-shirt tutorial on YouTube (Part 1 and Part 2). I could also try a V-neck collar, which looks nice but might be a bit tricker to assemble.
- I should find better quality knit to work with. The gray/pink fabric is very thin and off grain. Sadly, that quality is what’s on most of the bolts in the “T-shirt knits” section at the local fabric shop.
Right now, my knits/serger projects are on hold pending final outcome of the coverstitch return (more on this soon). So I will be focusing on the springtime button-down shirt next.